REALTORS® are mostly small business owners who work to ensure buyers and sellers have the greatest access, transparency and choice through independent, local broker marketplaces that level the playing field for all types and sizes of brokerages.
Local Broker Marketplaces Foster Competition
Independent, local broker marketplaces create highly competitive markets that are friendly to small
businesses and new market entrants.
• Local broker marketplaces focus exclusively on residential real estate in local real estate markets.
• Access to inventory and free advertising as well as the practice of the listing broker paying the buyer brokers’ commission incentivizes participation in these local broker marketplaces. The result is the largest, most accessible and most accurate source of housing information available to consumers.
• That levels the playing field among brokerages, allowing small brokerages to compete with large ones, and provides for unprecedented competition among brokers, including different service and pricing models.
Consumer Access & Opportunity
Local broker marketplaces ensure equity, transparency and market-driven pricing options for the
benefit of home buyers and sellers.
• The U.S. model of local broker cooperation has long been – and is still – viewed as the best value for consumers around the world.
• Local broker marketplaces provide sellers equal access to the largest possible pool of potential buyers and create the greatest number of housing options for buyers in one place without hidden or extra costs.
• Sellers making offers of compensation to buyer brokers also gives first-time, low/middle income and all homebuyers a better shot at affording a home and professional representation.
• The free market organically establishes commission costs within local real estate markets based on service, consumer preference and what the market can bear, among other things.
REALTORS® Champion Wealth Building & Communities
REALTORS® are everyday working Americans who champion homeownership and property rights for
the communities they serve.
• REALTORS® are entrepreneurs and most often small business owners who exemplify the spirit of this country.
• As expert, local brokers, REALTORS® help consumers navigate what is for many the most complex and important transaction they’ll ever do.
• Every REALTOR® is bound by a strict code of ethics based on professionalism, consumer protection and the golden rule.
• REALTORS® also are engaged neighbors committed to building and enhancing the
communities they serve and fighting for fair housing.
Learn more at competition.realtor.